Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I can't believe what I saw today...

Today, Donovan and I had a little time to kill before picking Avery up from preschool, so we stopped at the mall after running some errands. We came in on the second floor, and were walking towards the escalators, when I heard a child screaming. I looked around and after a few seconds, I saw her. She was about three years old and was at the top of the escalator screaming. I couldn't tell what was wrong, but as I got closer, I realized that she wasn't on my side of the glass. She was hanging on for dear life on the other side of the escalator wall, clinging to the moving hand rail. The next floor down was at least 20 feet. There was no one around her and no one seemed to notice that she was in trouble. I ran to her and started screaming for someone to help me. I was holding Donovan in one arm, and grabbed her arm with my other hand. I was frantically calling for someone to help me, but no one seemed to be noticing me either. I knew that I couldn't pull her up with one hand because she was flailing around, nor could I bend down to drop Donovan and risk my grip on her arm loosening and dropping her. I held her to the side of the wall as tightly as I could for a few more seconds and finally I saw a lady running towards me, yelling that she would help me. We started to pull the little girl up and over, when finally her mother came running up the escalator. She snatched the little girl away from us and just took off, without saying a word to us. I was frozen and in shock and didn't even know what to do. The other lady and I just stood there looking at each other, and I was visibly shaking. I have no idea how that little girl got on the other side of that escalator rail. I don't know if she climbed up from the bottom or climbed over the rail at the top of the escalator. I tend to think that she rode up the wrong side from the bottom, since her mother seemed to be downstairs when it happened. I have been so upset all day by this. When I got into my car after it happened, I burst into tears and couldn't stop shaking. Thankfully, the little girl was ok, but she easily could have been hurt badly or worse. Why don't people watch their children more carefully???

11 comments:

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Wow--I can't believe the mom didn't say anything--was she just in shock?

So crazy. Nicely done.

TheHQforHQ said...

So scary! Glad you were able to help her.

Lea said...

I am just shocked thinking about what you experienced today. All I can really say is, "Thank heaven you were there to help her!" Good job for recognizing the situation and addressing it so well. How is Donovan after this experience? (By the way, this is Lea from the Monday playgroup. :))

Natalie C. said...

Did the mom know you were the hero & not some weirdo dangling her daughter over the escalator edge? That is the scariest thing I've ever heard of. Way to go, Tiffany!!!!!!!!!! That is so unbelievable!!!!

~TMcGee~ said...

I am mailing you a SuperWoman costume tomorrow! Wow...I had goosebumps reading this. I can't believe that happened. I think if it would have been my child dangling and some stranger saved her life, I would have crumpled on the floor sobbing my heart out, with many loud hiccupy thanks. What a woman! I have to give you a *clap clap* YOU ROCK!! :-)

Jenny Hatch said...

Hurray for your muscles! Remember a few blogs back when Avery was riding her bike and you were carrying Donovan...and his bike? Way to work out!!! You seriously saved another persons life. Amazing! If I knew how, I'd report you to Oprah, and you would fly to Chicago, be picked up by a limosine, and taken to a 5 star hotel with a spa...and even then it wouldn't be enough. I mean, you saved a life. Hurray You!!!

Dana Broderick said...

Oh my heavens! That is crazy! I can't believe that mom didn't even talk to you? What's wrong with people now a days? I agree with those above, you are a hero Tiffany! A good samaritan!

Jeppson Clan said...

My jaw is still hanging open! Thank goodness you were there! Way to go T!
I'm so glad I "re-found" your blog. Your family is too cute. I wish we were closer so our kids could play!

Ryann said...

Holy crap! I cannot believe that the mother said nothing. NOTHING! How careless of her.

As for you, Bravo! You are a hero!

Wendi said...

Wow Tiffany---that is quite a story...one that mades me wantt o go hug my kiddos. Thanks goodness you were there!!!You should have been given much more thanks than that!! I bet the mother was very embarassed. Maybe someday she will remember and help someone else. At least hopefully she is now scarred of escalators.

Wendi

Ferndale said...

You are SuperMom! So glad to see the blog up and running again. And you're right, it is a great blog!