This past Tuesday, Avery started her first day of first grade. She is at a new school this year because her kindergarten was actually an extension of her preschool, and they stop at kindergarten. I have to admit, it has been a harder transition that I expected. I dropped her off and cried all the way to the car. I don't mean teared up a little bit, I mean sobbed. For the first time in her life, I felt like I was just turning her over to strangers. We don't know her teacher or anyone in her class. And I really don't know what goes on during the day. I haven't been thrilled with the communication from the school so far either and I don't like that they don't allow the parents inside the school to drop off or pick up their children. I guess I am spoiled from her kindergarten experience, but this has a rough week for us all, not least of which is being out the door by 7:45! I'm sure I'll like it when we get more used to it. We did eat lunch in the cafeteria with her on Friday, which was fun, and I think I'm going to start volunteering in her class once a week.
Avery on the first day. It was raining.


Next to her desk. She was excited to see that she has an actual desk this year with a spot underneath to keep all her things.

The backpack closet. Since she was one of the first ones there that day, she got to choose her favorite number - 6!
1 comment:
You should totally start volunteering in her class. It's amazing how much more connected you feel to your child when you do. You finally get to see what school is like for her during the day and you get to know all the kids in her class so you finally know who she's talking about when she tells stories. Plus Ms. Drasheff is always desperate for any help she can get so your presence there will be very welcomed. :-) And the whole not letting parents in before or after school is new just this year and is really retarded. I would always walk Talon to class for the first week or so until he felt comfortable enough to go on his own. And I always picked him up at his classroom all through Kindergarten and 1st grade.
Post a Comment