Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Kindergarten Baby, Born in the Gravy"

(The Lyman kids will get it)

So Avery is officially a kindergartener. The night before kindergarten, Scott gave her and Donovan lovely Father's blessings. I have fond memories of getting my back to school blessing as a kid from my own dad. My mom sent them each a new stuffed animal, a penguin for Avery and a lamb for Donovan, because those are their class mascots.

In the morning, Avery woke up to her alarm clock. I think she was almost as excited to get up with an alarm as she was to start kindergarten. She kept saying "I have never woken up with an alarm before!" She slept well the night before. I never seemed to be able to fall asleep the night before the first day of school as a child.
Avery is totally obsessed with HSM (High School Musical for those without school aged children) so she dressed head to toe in HSM attire. I would have been a little embarrassed for her if she didn't look so darn cute.
Obligatory front door photo-op:

Back pack (high school musical, of course)

Taking this shot on the stairs made me a little sad. Each year, we have lined her up on the stairs with her best friends. The first year, there were 4 of them:

Last year, there were two, and this year, she sat alone:

She has other friends in her class, though. These are the other two girls in her class (yes, there are only 3), Pia and Angelina:

We were the first ones there (yes, I know how surprised you all must be!). Avery was so excited to get into her class. The teachers let the kids check out the room for a few minutes before the parents left, so of course I took as many pictures as possible.
Welcome to kindergarten:

In her class:

The science corner:

This is my favorite part of the classroom!

She posed with Ms. Evans:

and Ms. Swahn:

And then we left. No tears from any of us!

8 comments:

Jeppson Clan said...

Avery looks darling! Her little head scarf is just HSM to the max! Is it still cool to say "max?" ha ha just kidding.

Dana Broderick said...

avery looks happy to be in school! i can't believe our babies are so old now!

s said...

Hi T! Avery looks so cute. she is growing up! We miss you guys!

Jana said...

What a cutie! I don't look forward to Olivia's first day of school. I couldn't even stand sending her to preschool this year! You have the cutest family!

Teri said...

Avery looks so cute. She has really pretty hair! My maiden name is Evans, I wonder if I'm related to her teacher??

E said...

sad we didnt' get to see you this weekend! Maybe next time

Laci said...

Yeah Avery! We think she looks so cute... nices poses.....
Love you,
YFS

M & J Bowerbank said...

How exciting! Avery looks soo cool with her High School Muscial stuff.